Forgive him...

Today I was determined to attend the first movie of the first edition of Habitat International film festival. The movie is the academy award winning movie The Salesman.

The Salesman directed by well-known, socially realistic Iranian movie maker Asghar Farhadi. Most of you might be knowing him from his previous Academy award winning movie in the Best Foreign Language Films category, A Separation. For, The Salesman, this is his second award in the same category.

It just couldn't happen. I can't explain whether I'm affected by missing out on this chance, to attend the fest and as well to have seen the movie on the big screen. I have a very romantic idea of watching a movie on the bigger screen. I can't explain why I choose to head back home (one of the reasons could be bad health) whereas come what may, I've never missed out any such occasions.

I reached home at the regular time and did my routine things and started reading The Narrow Road to the Deep North. I just couldn't sit there and read, which is unusual. When I'm reading then there's no alternative force which can stop me and make me do anything else except for earthquakes which have alarmed me in recent times. But that too for a few seconds.

Today it's different. I switched on my laptop.

I was ruminating on the fact that how would Nocturnal Animals turn out, after a friend who has second this movie to me. A huge fan of Jake Gyllenhaal, I wanted to see it right away.

I did. But I didn't watch it. Something just didn't work out. No, I didn't start watching it. It started playing and I turned it off almost immediately.

I scrambled through different folders and there it was, The Salesman, in HD.
Recently, I've been watching many Iranian movies. After the Iranian film festival, I attended in 2016 at Siri Fort Auditorium. The Iranian cinema has attracted me to itself.

A story within a story movie.

It's yesterday when I read the article, probably by TheCinemaholics, where there's a list of a  story within a story movie, ranked.

The Salesman is also the same. Farhadi has written it amicably well, about a couple who are theater artists performing Arthur Miller's play Death of a Salesman. The movie revolves around an incident which happens when one day the wife opens the door without being vigilant enough, without checking who's it and answered the door.

Shahab Hosseini (who has received Best Actor at Cannes, for the year 2016) and Taraneh Alidoosti's screen presence left me awe-inspiring. Those stupefying expressions of Hosseini and that subtleness of character played by Alidoosti are a major highlight of the movie. It's not a high voltage drama but as soon as I played it on my laptop, I just couldn't stop. I cannot express the kind of association which I've felt with this movie.

I can only recall "Forgive him.." & "You're taking revenge" by Alidoosti. I'd be revealing too much if I tell you why she declares this before her husband.

For me, these two phrases, I've experienced. I carry it as a disturbing moment and an unexplainable feeling. But I'm also at peace with myself for choosing something which I did and I appreciate it today.

This time I let it go off my chest talks about only these two things: Revenge and Forgiveness.
I don't have a defining sutra to share by applying which you can choose which tool at any particular situation but I tell you forgiveness will outlast revenge at any day and in any situation.

[But I'm yet to figure out Why Farhadi boycotted the award ceremony?

I learned that he did it because of Trump's diktat. Now I can't really fit this act in the 'revenge' category. But I find it amusing that maybe he's accepted the award as an act of 'forgiveness'.

Awards are a different thing altogether. We're talking about art.]

But life is just like this movie, a story within a story.
I had to watch The Salesman. I did.

But this turned out to be meaningful. I appreciate it better now. Because now there's my personal narrative which has joined the flow of this story. I can connect to it at a deeper level.

The Salesman.
Source: Wikipedia



Comments